Do you need a professional property maintenance company? Unless you’re a general contractor with a cadre of specialists you can rely on for both routine maintenance and emergency repairs, the answer is probably – yes. Like owning a car, keeping a rental property well-maintained is a key element to getting the best return on your property investment.
Property maintenance includes everything from making sure appliances are working optimally to refreshing paint to ensuring there’s adequate lighting, that smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are in good working order, and more. Property maintenance also includes emergency repair jobs, such as dealing with pipes bursting, toilets getting plugged up, and roofs leaking.
It’s a big job and an important one. What’s at stake is the safety and enjoyment of tenants, the rentability of the property, and its long-term value.
Benefits of Working with a Professional Property Maintenance Company
Hiring a professional property maintenance company comes with a number of benefits. For do-it-yourselfer landlords, hiring a professional might seem like a costly option that won’t deliver ROI. But outsourcing to professionals who’ve dedicated their careers to all aspects of property maintenance can save a lot of hassle and money over time.
Here are a few of the benefits of working with a professional property maintenance company:
- Reduced risk. Safety always needs to be priority No. 1 for property owners, managers, and tenants. A quality professional property maintenance company will be well-versed in what is required to keep a property safe for residents. In addition to giving tenants peace of mind, a safe property reduces liability risk on the part of the owner and the property management company.
- Retained property values. Keeping a property well-maintained will increase the odds that the property’s value is preserved. A well-maintained property can command higher rents, as well as more potential tenant interest, plus a higher sale price. In addition, tenants will be more likely to stay in a unit if it’s well cared for. A professional maintenance company will be on top of routine maintenance needs and can handle emergency repairs quickly.
- Ease and efficiency. A professional property maintenance company also brings the benefit of economies of scale. Generally, they work on multiple properties, so they can do the job more efficiently than an individual or landlord who has to call different service technicians and specialists, juggle scheduling, billing, etc. This efficiency can take a load off the shoulders of the property owner or landlord.
- Lower costs. With economies of scale comes cost savings. A professional property maintenance company can generally do things faster and more efficiently, which can lower labor, administrative, parts, and other costs that are associated with repairs and maintenance. In addition, experience can help to prevent more costly, reactive repairs because less skilled individuals missed them.
- Quality of work. Since professional property maintenance companies do maintenance repairs full-time, they’ll be more skilled, or will have technicians who are skilled, than the layperson. Doing the job properly the first time is always the least costly and most hassle-free way to do it. In addition, as professionals, the property maintenance company’s reputation is on the line, so they have a vested interest in doing the job well the first time and keeping owners, managers, and tenants happy.
- Tenant retention. Well-maintained rentals and repairs done quickly by skilled professionals will give tenants peace of mind and ensure they’re happier about where they’re living. This lowers the odds of tenants breaking their leases, withholding rent, or giving bad reviews about a property or landlord.
Key Things to Look for When Hiring a Professional Property Maintenance Company
Not all property maintenance companies are created equal, so it’s important to do your due diligence before hiring one. There are some common qualities that the most highly rated property maintenance companies share. Here is a list of qualities to look for.
- Experience with maintenance and repairs on your type of property
Rental properties range from single-family homes to ADUs, multifamily apartment buildings, condos, and commercial spaces. Plus, there are variations in maintenance and repair requirements based on the age of the building. Ideally, the property maintenance company you hire will have experience working on properties that are similar to yours. Always look for relevant experience.
- References from satisfied clients
A quality professional maintenance company should have a book of clients who own properties like yours and who are happy with the maintenance company’s services. Sure, you can take a chance on a new provider that doesn’t have a list of great references yet, but you’ll be taking on more risk if you do.
- Positive reviews on social media and independent review sites.
Social media feeds and independent review sites like Yelp are also good resources to assess the quality of the property maintenance company. If a company doesn’t have positive public reviews, it’s a red flag.
- Relevant licenses
A quality property maintenance company will ensure that any technicians and skilled service providers they work with will have the needed certifications and licenses to do the jobs they’re asked to do. This is another area where the company’s credibility and reputation are on the line. Best-in-class companies will work with licensed service providers.
Quality property maintenance companies will also have general liability insurance and their workers will be insured so they’re protected in the event of on-the-job injuries. Property maintenance is physically demanding work, and so it’s important to look for a company that protects its workers and hires outside contractors who also have adequate insurance.
When it comes to emergency repairs and even routine maintenance requests, time is of the essence. This is where working with a professional property maintenance company can be a huge benefit. The best property maintenance companies will have the resources to respond quickly to tenant, owner, or manager requests.
The best property maintenance companies will provide on-call services so that tenants and owners can get the help they need quickly. In addition, a professional maintenance company can make the billing process seamless and stress-free for everyone.
The complexities involved with ensuring a property is well-maintained require the skills of trained and experienced professionals, such as general contractors, electricians, plumbers, and trained appliance technicians. Working with a professional property maintenance company that has a great reputation in the industry can be the most stress-free and cost-effective way to maintain the value of a property.